Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What I love about the USA

Rick came up with a list of things he loved about America and inspired me to do the same. These are listed in no particular order:
  1. The feeling you get living in a small town in this country.
  2. The color of the Fall leaves in north Georgia and the Carolinas.
  3. Grilling in the backyard.
  4. The amazing access to information we have. Having traveled to other countries all over the world, I know that information can be limited by a government. I'm not saying that the information we get is always accurate, but we have the ability to sort through basically any information that we can get to on the entire planet. This is a gift.
  5. Our love for the red, white and blue.
  6. The respect shown for those who serve our country in uniform, whether they are military, fire or police. Those who do not show respect for these people should frankly be ashamed of themselves.
  7. Thanksgiving: Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie!
  8. New York City, truly the greatest city in the world and one that I consider to be my second home.
  9. Accessibility of education. We all have things we would change about the education provided in our local community, but I thank God that we have an education system that is available to all, regardless of sex, religion, income or ethnic background.
  10. The beaches of the Southeast and the Gulf coast. These are the beaches of my youth. My memories are filled with riding rafts on the gentle waves, finding seashells, and building sandcastles.
  11. The giving nature of our people. If there is a natural disaster, we are the first to want to help. If a neighbor loses a family member, we are there with a smile, a prayer and a casserole. We take money from our pockets to support research, non-profits, our church and/or the arts.
  12. Fried chicken, watermelon and corn on the cob: the perfect summer dinner and uniquely American.
  13. The library system. It is truly a gift to us that in just about every town in America, there is a library of some kind.
  14. The coast of Washington and Oregon. The wild beauty here takes my breath away.
  15. Our music. Americans have a passion for all kinds of music -- rock, country, classical, pop and so on.
  16. I know this sounds strange but I love our highway system. If you've been to a 2nd or 3rd world country, you know that good roads are a gift. And welcome centers and rest areas are the icing on the cake.
  17. Sunsets in Texas.
  18. Peanut butter, one of my favorite American icons. Did you know it is estimated that peanut butter is found in 75% of American homes?
  19. Regionalism. I love that we embrace what makes our part of the country unique -- accents, foods, customs, stories.
  20. The Smokey Mountains. Beautiful.
  21. I love that as a woman in this country, I have most of the same opportunities that a man would have. You can argue that more needs to be done, but, again, having traveled the world, I know that I have freedoms and options that simply are not available to women in some countries. I can go to school. I can work outside the home. I can walk down the street without covering my face. I don't have to worry about being stoned for something I am accused of. I can own personal property. I don't have to walk several steps behind my husband. I am valued.
  22. Farmer markets. I love farmer markets. I love bargaining for the best tomatoes, finding the sweetest watermelon, getting a jar of honey with the honeycomb in it, scoring a deal on apples and picking the freshest corn.
  23. Fireworks!
  24. Availability of a huge assortment of food. If you've ever been to another country, you know that being able to get milk and M&Ms at the corner market is a huge deal. Top that up with the fact that you can get about a hundred different kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables in typical grocery store. Talk to anyone who has recently visited or moved to the US from another country. One of the things that they will mention are our grocery stores.
  25. The Smithsonian. I love this complex of museums. I can't wait to take Monkey Boy there.
  26. State and county fairs. How can you not love rides, corn dogs, funnel cakes, and livestock? Monkey Boy is already talking about going to our county fair and it isn't until October!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a fantastic list! Nice job!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You summed up the American experience very nicely! I found myself nodding in agreement as I read through your list!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a naturalized citizen.

Being able to vote.

Driving across the desert in Arizona and seeing the moon, so big you feel you could touch it.

The mists early in the morning in the Ozarks.

The medical system over here.

There are so many things I am thankful to America for but these are just a few.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Sharon that was EXCELLENT!!! Thank you so much for bringing so many things to my attention that I was just taking for granted..like the highways and libraries. I can't tell you how much that post touched me. I AM thankful for our beautiful and wonderful Country!

5:13 PM  
Blogger ellie bee said...

AMEN!!!! Thank you for putting it into words!!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Ms. Packrat said...

Brava. I had to make a bit of a list myself this morning ....

8:18 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

Thanks Rick. I just took your lead.

Terri: I can actually picture you nodding! Thanks!

Anonymous = My Mom: Hope you had a great 4th. Love you.

Logziella: I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed writing it.

Ellie Bee: Thanks. Did you have a nice 4th in your new home?

Ms. Packrat: I enjoyed your blog entry. Thanks for sharing.

10:41 PM  
Blogger amusing said...

The movie industry, which has transformed so many of these things into "American icons"

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home