Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Words, Your Book

I was just on Amazon searching my name to see which of my books are still for sale. You may know that I was once an author. Technically, I'm still an author, but I haven't had anything new published in about 5 years. So anyway, there I was looking at my books on the computer screen when I saw my name displayed in association with a book I didn't write. Amazon has this new, cool feature that allows you to search for terms in some of the books they sell. There was an excerpt attributed to me in another author's book. It was a book about how to get started in computer consulting. In one of my previous lives, I was a major computer consultant for Microsoft earning the big bucks (so not me now! Now I am Mom.) Anyway, this other writer quoted me. I don't think that I've ever met this person and I don't remember being interviewed for a book, but the book is almost 10 years old so I may have forgotten. According to the bio provided, she worked for CompuServe (this was one of the major Internet access providers in the olden days.) and I think she lifted my comments from an online forum. This isn't illegal since she identified me by my name and gave me credit for the quote, but it has me weirded out. How strange is it to think that you are out there somewhere in print and not even know it?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Liv said...

It would be shocking, but I really hope that somebody totally random attributes something to me like, "If not for her thoughtful guidance in bed, I would never have become the foremost sexpert in the field. Thanks, liv, my heart and my career go out to you."

9:31 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

I just laughed myself to tears. Damn, you're funny.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

I try. I laugh because all the time it's not suitable to cry.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home