Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Southern Things

South of the Gnat Line had an entry that originated at the the Whistlestop Cafe Cooking spot where she added some of her favorite things/quirks about being Southern. I'm going to add a few of my own:
  • Here in the South during the summer, we determine whether you got a good parking space by how shady it is, not by how close it is to the location you are going.
  • Properly raised children in the South may refer to an adult by their first name if they prefix it with Miss or Mr. For example, "Miss Terri, may I have a Coke?" or "Mr. Reggie, can I pet your dog?"
  • We consider the state bird to be the mosquito.
  • We believe a business conversation should be eased into. We don't jump into the main topic until we've discussed the weather and/or fishing and/or hunting and/or how your mama is doing.
  • We have an unabashed love for the veggie (vegetable) plate. I didn't know this was a regional thing until I tried to order a plate full of veggies in Chicago and they made fun of me. The items on a veggie plate are really any kind of sides, including starchy ones. An example of a veggie plate would be mashed potatoes, fried okra, mac & cheese and green beans with a roll, biscuit or cornbread. Yummy!
  • You may be asked, "Who are your people?" We are trying to figure out much of an outsider you are.
  • We say 'thank you' . . . a lot! We will do something for you and then thank you after we are done.
  • Southern males have a uniform: polo shirts and khakis. A variant of this is the button down shirt and khakis. They can wear this uniform anywhere: work, church, weddings, football games, etc.

I bet Reggie could add a few more of his own!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minnesota considers the mosquito to be the state bird too! Man, they get thick around here. Especially today. It's humid!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

Oh, and tea is always iced--and probably sweet. I'm fixin' to go and try to think of some more Miss Peach.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Harriette Jacobs said...

My Dad loves the "meat & 3" ('specially at small town cafeteria style spot - 1 meat and 3 vegies...).

I laughed out loud at the parking in the shade.....Honey, when I was little (back in the 60's) before we HAD to wear seat beats - a loose seat belt buckle, all sprawled out on the seat, could be a lethal burn on the back of your legs when you jumped in the car after being in the dime store too long!

Behave!
;-)
Harriette

10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I was from the South!

7:09 AM  
Blogger crazyauntpurl said...

This may be the funniest and truest thing I have ever read!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

Terri: I've been to MN and remember all the bugs. I think that they are bigger there than here.

Liv: Have you ever made ice tea with green tea? It's Monkey Boy's favorite.

South of the Gnat Line: Y'all's welcome. I was a child of the 60s and I don't remember our car having seat belts. I do remember my crayons melting on the seat and getting in trouble for it.

Rick: Of course you do!

Crazy Aunt Purl: I bet you've got some stories to tell!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home