Monday, June 18, 2007

Martha Stewart Gene

I have been accused of having the Martha Stewart gene. I cook. I decorate. I do my own small home repairs. I garden. This gene seems to have gone into dormancy in the past couple of years but is now showing itself again. I'm turning the attic bedroom into a kids guest room which we have dubbed The Tiki Lounge. It's going to have a tropical/tiki/surf motif. I dragged Monkey Boy to the fabric store to get fabric to recover the cushions on one of the chairs in the Tiki Lounge. Surprisingly, he wasn't enthused about the outing but when I explained that left unsupervised I would pick out a girly print, he decided to go with me. After threats of making him go to dress AND shoe stores with me if he didn't stop whining, we finally agreed on a fabric with a blue mariner map print. I'm feeling very Martha right now!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minus the ankle bracelet, of course...

Sounds like fun. I wish I were creative. I can be, but it takes months and months...

12:51 PM  
Blogger ellie bee said...

I LOVE MARTHA! And isn't it wonderful to have the freedom to be "marthaesque" in your own home, decorating things the way YOU want?
You go girl!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where are the pictures? We want pictures!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

I feel sort of more comfortable equating myself with happily less than Martha. Things don't have to be perfect for me. The lamp doesn't have to match the curtains. The kitchen doesn't have to be too clean. When I think of Martha it's with the anxiety produced of having to perform on a scale that's preternaturally perfect. I guess if I were trying to go in the direction of magazines I'd shoot for Real Simple crossed with the Williams Sonoma catalogue. And there'd be Thomas the Tank Engine on the floor and a couple of dirty pots on the stove.

Changed your mind about visiting?

8:44 AM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

Thanks, y'all! liv, I totally understand what you are saying. My motto is "The word 'good' is in 'good enough!"

9:33 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

liv: BTW, I'm thinking of doing an Atlanta weekend towards the end of July.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

sweet. we are so totally there. pick me up on the way up! that way I can regale you with my iPod mystery radio game! my kids are gone 7/14-22. ouch, but a girls' weekend might smooth out the wrinkles. coffee, shopping---been to the fabric houses recently? food. fabulous!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home