Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Summer in the South

From reading other blogs and watching the Weather Channel, I know that it is hot EVERYWHERE! The Deep Coastal South is no exception. We hit 100 on Sunday, which is ever so pleasant with our 90% humidity. Normal sane people stay inside when its hot like this. Not us! We decided to visit a couple of lots that we have on the Altamaha River. We just wanted to check them out to make sure that no one had put a trailer on them and started living there (they do that around here) or that they hadn't become someone's personal trash dump. Of course, on the way, we needed nourishment. So we stopped at Krystal's. Yummmmmm!


After nourishment, we headed out to the lots. Monkey Boy was so excited about the whole adventure as he got to bring his BB gun with him. What is with boys and BB guns? Anyway, the lots were fine and the views are still gorgeous, as you can see from the photo. We have two lots out there, each an acre.

I was surprised at how much the foliage had grown up in the past few months. I'm always amazed at what will grow unattended, unplanned. Flowers, trees, berries, critters all seem to nurture each other. We have swamp daisies (they look like sunflowers), at least a dozen different kinds of trees and shrubs on the lot. And Spanish moss. If you aren't from the coastal south you may not have ever seen this strange plant. I love Spanish moss. It absolutely drips from the trees here. When I was a child I would get so excited about seeing it because it meant we were near the beach. Did you know Spanish Moss isn't a moss and is related to pineapple?!


On the knitting front, I have bravely continued with my wrap/shawl project. Those of you who read this blog regularly, know the project as 'the hairball.' The 'hairball' has grown and blossomed and I'm so glad that I stuck with it. It doesn't photograph well, but it is beautiful. You should feel it. It is so soft. I love that it is going to be lightweight but warm. It is the best of all worlds. I should finish it next week when I'm visiting my parents in Mississippi. The scarf is coming along, too. I got about 7 inches done during the movie, You and Me, Dupree.

Monkey Boy is at his first overnight camp this week! This is major, for both him and us parent folk. My poor DH is wandering around the house lost without him. When we dropped Monkey Boy off yesterday, it was totally, "Bye Mom. Bye Dad. See ya at the end of the week!" He could at least pretend to miss us! He, of course, grabbed a top bunk and proceeded to ignore our existence.

Monkey Boy enjoys the fine, air-conditioned comfort of his cabin.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Florida before I moved to SC, and I thought I was the only one who liked Spanish Moss. I just think it's pretty on the trees.

Don't you hate it when you miss your kids more than they miss you?? Guess it's part of growing up (ours, not theirs, evidently!!).

6:16 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

The big question is "What do you order at Krystal's: a Krystal, a Pup or a Chick?"

7:59 AM  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

Gwenny was just like that when she went to Brownie camp!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home