Monday, July 10, 2006

Yarn Lesson

Yesterday I was cruising around the clearance area of my local Wally World's craft department and found some yarn that had gorgeous colors. I, of course, bought it all. It is Lion Chenille in the Paris colorway. The photo really doesn't do it justice as it is so much more vivid:


After going to the Lion's website to look for patterns to use this yarn, I discovered, much to my horror, that this yarn is not recommended for knitting, only for crochet. Yarn that's not recommended for knitting, what kind of twisted logic is this? Didn't the Bible mention this as one of the signs that the world was going to end?

I don't crochet and don't really want to as I still feel like a novice and want to keep my focus on knitting before taking up yet another hobby. So after some investigation I discovered that the reason chenille isn't recommended for knitting is due to the phenomena known as worming. Worming when your yarn "unwinds" from your knitting so you have loops of it dangling down like little worms all over your finished project.

I have a history of embracing flaws. I've embraced my ADD. People marvel at my ability to do 3 to 5 tasks simultaneously. I've embraced my insomnia. Friends comment about the fact I get so much done. So, with this attitude, I've decided to embrace chenille's worming. I'm going to knit a scarf using a loopy stitch. I'll post photos when I get started.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first came back to knitting a couple of years ago, I made my son an afghan out of the LB chenille, and he loves it. The loops aren't THAT bad. You might try going down a needle size or 3 if it bothers you, though.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Worming, my dog Cedie has them, yep; not a good thing.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is gorgeous yarn! BTW, thanks for stopping by and letting me know what SnB was...I am so lame! LOL

5:02 AM  
Blogger Eleni said...

Fight the worm power. I've knit with chenille a bunch and you can make it work. The smaller needle sugggestion is a good idea beause the tighter stitches help somewhat. But, I do wonder if you did it really loopy on big needles would do for it. Like 15's or 17's, just a thought (to have that airy crochet thang)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home