Friday, May 11, 2007

Karma

My 10 year old son made my bed this morning. For those of you who have had or have a 10 year old son, you know that this event is tantamount to the world reversing its rotation. Seriously, I have a hard enough time to getting him to make his own bed. When I asked him why he was doing this, he told me that he had to keep his good karma flowing!

Let me give you some background. First, Monkey Boy is big on the concept of karma. I explained to him about a year ago that according to karma, performing positive actions result in a good condition of one's life experience, whereas negative actions result in a bad condition in your life experience. I like the concept of karma because I feel that when you do good things for others, you enrich your own life both directly and indirectly. I don't personally believe that karma is a concept that only falls into the the belief system of Buddhists. It can be said a dozen different ways including the Golden Rule ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.") This made sense to him and he often talks about things that he did or others have done that will affect karma.

Yesterday, our Internet connection went down. The company we use told us that they couldn't get a truck out to fix it until Monday. This basically ended Monkey Boy's world as he couldn't play the online games to which he is seriously addicted. But this morning, when we woke up, the Internet connection was magically working! Monkey Boy felt he needed to have strong, positive karma so that his precious Internet connection would remain intact for the weekend, and therefore, made my bed!

"Whatever karma I create, whether good or evil, that I shall inherit." The Buddha, Anguttara Nikaya V.57 - Upajjhatthana Sutta

3 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

I absolutely believe in karma too - it's a fantastic concept.
Too cute that Monkey Boy is so interested too...now if only me making MY bed would result in something fabulous, then maybe I would actually make it once in a while.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Tim 2.0 said...

Has he been watching "My Name Is Earl?" :-)

10:18 AM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

Ali: I'm a bed maker. I hate to come home to an unmade bed. I like actually having to pull back the covers to sleep. It's part of my bedtime ritual.

Tim: Actually, no. I have seen it a couple of times but I don't think Monkey Boy has. So, are you a karma guy?

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home