Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Purse

Gigi and I were out at lunch with her hairstylist a couple of weeks ago and we began discussing purses because I had knitted one and given it to Gigi as a gift. Her hairstylist didn't know that there is, as far as true Southern women are concerned, a difference between a purse and a handbag. The difference is that a purse is smaller. I realize that some dictionaries and encyclopedias would beg to differ, but in the culture she and I grew up in, a handbag is bigger and more of an everyday carryall and a purse is smaller and more for special events and church. So here is the purse I made for Gigi:


This purse was knitted and then felted. It was one of the featured projects at the knitting retreat I went to in Boone, NC.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for clearing up the purse thing! That has been driving me nuts lately! :) I notice the city of Boone, NC. I have been there, isn't Tweetsie Railroad around those parts?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

The 'Purse' is a very distinct word in a Southern girl's vocabulary ; also 'Picking at food' with your 'pinky' out just comes naturaly to those of us w/"Breeding"(as Grandma Margie used to say)!! It is true, we have our own 'special' language in the South not to be taken lightly :)!!
And Rick,yes Tweetsie is actually in Blowing Rock,NC which is about 10 minutes from Boone.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gigi My family passed through there when I was a young boy. I also remember walking across a bridge which was supposedly 1 mile in the air. I also purchased a corncob pipe at a souvenir shop. Memory lane! It's no wonder I love the South!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

Wow. And in my part of the South I've only heard women refer to the things that they carry to hold stuff as "my bag" or "my pocketbook"... As in, "Lulu, run and get me my bag." or "Dee Dee, I declare my pocketbook is overflowin' no matter how many times I clean it out each week!"

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home