Thursday, April 12, 2007

Flowers from the Garden

Is there anything sweeter than flowers from your own garden? Yesterday I was puttering around my garden doing my favorite garden chore: deadheading the flowers. I know this might sound strange as a favorite thing to do, but in my mind, I'm making more flowers. By deadheading, I'm making the plants want to bloom more and that's a good thing. We were supposed to have a thunder shower last night so I decided to cut a few roses since they would be ruined by the storm. I added a few fern fronds and made a little arrangement:

When I think of flowers from the garden, I think of the Sweet Williams my mother always grew. Sweet Williams are flowers that you don't see much any more and I don't know why; they are quite pretty and have a wonderful spicy scent. My mother grew them because, among other reasons, her father was named William. Every spring, my mother would cut some and send them with us to school for our teachers. I loved how they smelled and that we were the only kids to bring Sweet Williams to our teachers. It made me feel special. Thanks Mom!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am so jealous. My yard is a swamp today. So much rain, wind, and frigid temperatures, makes gardening impossible. This is just one of the many reason I would love to head to your neck of the woods!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

Rick, here is your garden report from the Coastal South: Currently the irises, roses, and wisteria are in bloom. It looks like the jasmine should be blooming next week. The current temp is 85 degrees with a light south wind and blue skies.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are very mean!

I have a serious question question about your copyright material.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home