Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy and Warm New Year's

What does being warm have to do with New Year's? Normally, nothing. But this year is different. Today it got up to 73 degrees! Even for the Coastal South, that's warm in January. I actually ran around wearing sandals or no shoes.

Here in the South, we have a tradition of eating black eye peas and greens for good luck on New Year's Day. So to honor this tradition, I made what I call 'Lucky Soup.' It is actually a French bean soup that I add greens to. The typical greens eaten today are collard greens, but I knew Monkey Boy wouldn't go near them so I used spinach. I was going to keep the soup vegetarian, but then my BIL reminded me that ham is also part of the tradition and because of my concern of offending the Southern gods (these include but are not limited to: Vince Dooley, Robert E. Lee, Tennessee Williams, and Lynyrd Skynyrd) I threw some ham into the soup. This stuff is good, real good. Monkey Boy loved it and skipped the biscuits so he could eat more soup, though I think he was really saving room for ice cream!

Here is the promised photo of the baby hats I made while I was in Alabama. One sports a cute bow and the other is decorated with flower buttons.

Got about 75% of my Christmas decorations down today. The tree is only half decorated now and looks like one of those sad trees after the ornaments go on sale at Macy's.

Hope your New Year's Day was reflective, restful and fun!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The soup looks good enough to eat. We had black eyed peas and cabbage for New Years. You are supposed to have hog jowls but no way could I eat them. Have you seen them in Winn Dixie, they have teeth in them. Love the hats you made.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home