Friday, January 27, 2006

On the Needles

You may have been wondering what I've been working on since the baby sweater got off of my needles (finally!). Check out this little item:

"Will she get it done before the end of winter?!"

This is a modified vesion of the Aibhlinn, pronounced "ave - leen", project found on Knitty.com. It is done on #7 Turbo circlular needles (love these needles) with Rowan's Calmer yarn in a dark chocolate brown. The photo makes it look like its lighter in color than it is (I'm doing this at the office and I don't have any photo editing software here!). The Calmer yarn is so soft and silky. It is just dreamy. I've made several changes to the pattern. I started, as you can see near the bobbles, to use the original pattern which would have resulted in a spiral ribbed look. Then I changed my mind and added a few rows of purl and then launched into a checkerboard pattern. I'll repeat the purl rows and partial spiral at the other end, for symatry. I won't, however, be adding bobbles at the other end. I don't like the idea of bobble around my face. I can just see myself batting at them like cat toys. I'm one of those people who don't like things around my face. I don't wear big earrings, either. Yes, I have personal issues!

Here's what the original would look like (source: knitty.com):

Aibhlinn by Mary Burr for knitty.com

I love working on circular needles and the checkerboard pattern is pretty mindless to knit, so this is a happy little project for me to work on.

Enjoy your weekend!

Thought for the day: If a turtle loses his shell, is he naked or homeless?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home