Sunday, May 20, 2007

Did you know that Peter Pan was a drama?

I didn't. I thought it was a light children's musical, that is until I sat through the hell of watching children audition for the local summer production for 4 and a half hours! There were three classes of 'actors': the truly sucky, the average (Monkey Boy was in this group) and the "why are you here instead of Broadway?" They sang, they danced and they read lines. If parents made any noise we were greeted with a loud "ssshhhhhhhhhhhh" by some teenage intern that was far more disruptive that anything we could have been doing. If I had popcorn, I would have thrown it at them.

I found it interesting how many stereotypes were represented in the crowd of 'actors.' There was the drama queen. She cried and fluttered around whining that she couldn't possibly sing as she didn't prepare her vocal chords. Many of us, yes that includes me, just rolled our eyes. Then there was the drama brat. Drama brat pushed other kids out of his way to get in better light, snatched lyric sheets out of the hands of small children and huffed if someone else messed up a line. There also were a couple of what I would call drama cheerleaders that had been doing the summer production for years and were so cheerful that you were pretty sure that they had eaten way too much sugar and knocked back a couple of large lattes. Of course some were simply charming, including my Monkey Boy! Can't say that he's ready for American Idol in the singing department or will win any dance contests, but he did a really nice job of reading lines. He read for the part of John and kind of had a very proper Harry Potter sound to his interpretation of the part.

After all this, I came home and medicated myself with tequila. I'll let you know on Tuesday which part Monkey Boy will be playing.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to the update!

8:17 PM  
Blogger slow panic said...

things they did NOT tell us about parenthood (mainly -- how annoying other children then ours would be)

5:52 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

Maybe one day I'll tell you of how a bottle of Patron landed on my doorstep yesterday...

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home