Saturday, April 21, 2007

Why I like living in a small town

  1. The cops know me and my truck on sight (we only have two officers on the island). If they see me speeding, they just wag their finger at me.
  2. I never have to eat by myself on Saturday nights or Sunday afternoons. I just sound really pathetic when I call my friends and one of them will invite me over.
  3. If I'm buying something and realize I forgot my wallet or don't have enough money on me, I'm told to catch them next time I'm there.
  4. I can get really good barbecue.
  5. I can lock my wallet and keys (I have a touch keypad on my door) in the truck without worrying about someone breaking in.
  6. I know all the kids in my neighborhood.
  7. If someone hasn't seen me in a couple of days, they call to check on me.
  8. I don't have to tell waitresses what I want to drink, they already know (coffee in the AM, Diet Coke in the PM).
  9. Many of the stores here still set up accounts. It's so cool to be able to run and pick something up in a hurry and just say, "Put it on my account."
  10. This is really part of #9: When I say "Put it on my account.", I don't have to tell them my name. They already know it.
  11. People know my truck and wave when they see me driving by.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Small town life sounds wonderful. A part of me has always wished I could live like that. The other part of me knows with certainty that I could not survive without Target, Kohl's, Express, Starbucks any number of take out establishments and a cash machine all within minutes of home.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

I feel like a lucky girl because on the mainland about 4 miles away a Target is opening in about a month and we are getting a Starbuck's on the island! Wahoo!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I loved growing up in a small town - I wouldn't have changed that for anything.
It always helped me out with the cops too; I never got in much trouble (though I should have) because I babysat most of their kids.
And I go back often enough that everyone still knows me, it's a wonderful feeling.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

why i don't like living in a small town:

"so, liv, who's (fill in the blank) f@#*&^g?"

everyone knows everything.

7:02 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I love the idea of living in a small town... and everytime I visit a small town I wish I lived in one, but I am also a total city boy (even though I lived in the country for a while)- I need certain "city things" - Hm... perhaps I could find a small town thats pretty close to the city. That might work.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home