Saturday, January 20, 2007

Press '1' for English

I stole this from a post at Lowcountry Blog Roll the other day:


Let me just say that I have no problems with immigrants coming to the USA. My own mom emigrated here in the 60s from England. I embrace their cultural diversity and believe they enhance our collective conscience. But in America we only have one de facto (notice I did not say 'official') national language, English. Then why am I being asked to wade through a selection of other languages? Isn't English the primary language taught by federally funded schools?

My other question is: Do Spanish-speaking people in the U.S. get directed to call centers in foreign countries like India and have to deal the speaker massacring their native tongues?

Side note: On May 18, 2006 the Senate voted on an amendment to an immigration reform bill that would declare English the national language of the United States. The immigration reform bill itself, S. 2611, was passed in the Senate on May 25, 2006, and now has to go back to the House. The side note material is presented for informational reasons only and does not denote my support for this bill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home