Thursday, July 26, 2007

Wow! What a week!

Wow! There's no other word to use. I'm still reeling from the whole 'I got a job' thing. I've checked out my classroom. I'm in one of those lovely trailers that seem to pop up around schools like mushrooms. I'm not being placed in a trailer because I'm the new kid. It's just the classroom of the person I'm replacing. I actually like it. At least I won't have to deal with hallway noise, plus think of all the fun we'll have once hurricane season is in full swing! I've picked up my textbook and got my 'Sonny Dollars,' so named because the governor of our great state, Sonny Perdue, supported allocating $100 for each teacher in our state to buy classroom supplies.

So here I am, contemplating what I'm doing. I'll be teaching math to 114 kids. That in itself is a little scary. Add to this parents, administrators and surprise evaluations and it adds up to very scary. I hope I don't screw this up.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chai said...

you will be fine... the kids will work wel for you because you are teaching a core class, and they act completely differently than they do in elective classes...i wish they didn't, but they do (i teach art) have you taught in public school before? you are right, the portable building is actually a gift...a place of your own....and you are right, no hall noise....you are going to do great! have you started thinking about what you are going to do the first week?

9:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

congrats and good luck w/ the job!

btw - i've tagged you. visit my site if you're interested. if not, no biggie ;)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

You couldn't screw up if you tried. $100? Wow, that's so generous. I mean, because that'll buy you enough to go on for years....groan. Just don't tell me that the state is taxing it.

I can't wait to hear your reports from the trenches, but will miss you in your "Lady of Leisure" status. Ha!

9:54 AM  
Blogger amusing said...

BRAVO! God, that's the biggest step. Im approaching 50 quite soon and am back in the job market after a decade away. I'm terrified.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ms. Packrat said...

$100 is a lot more than my Mom ever got - she was a school librarian and I know she spent way too much money on book repair and rebinding materials because there was never any budget unless she robbed the new book funds. A Governor who recognizes that teachers have been subsdizing school supplies for decades and tries to do something about it - not to be derided. I think what the companies Like Office Depot do to help teachers stretch those dollars is a really good thing too. I bet you are really going to enjoy teaching.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home